Hands-on Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
Here’s a clever dish that turns a crowd-pleaser on its head. It’s got all the fixings of a traditional deep-dish pie, such as cheese, pepperoni, and onions, but it’s prepared with the crust on top, casserole-style, so it’s easy to take and share.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 2 (15-ounce) cans Italian-style tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 cup chopped pepperoni
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 (13.8-ounce) package prepared pizza dough
- Heat the oven to 400°. In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, mushrooms, and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until the onions begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Add the turkey and continue to cook and stir, breaking the meat into small pieces, until it is no longer pink, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, basil, and pepperoni and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes. Add the pepper, then transfer the mixture to a 9- by 13-inch casserole dish.
- Scatter the cheese on top and layer on the pizza dough. Bake the casserole until the dough is golden, about 20 minutes. To serve, spoon out portions with a large serving utensil.
Q- What’s your favorite pizza topping that your kids love?