In the middle of all my mission trip GIVEAWAY(here) craziness- I started to feel hungry for comfort food. This Chicken Pot Pie recipe is #1 on my favorite food site. I have made it several times for my family and it keeps getting better and better. What is your favorite comfort food during the cold season?
- 3 bone-in chicken breast halves, skinless
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
- 3 potatoes
- 1 yellow onion
- 3 stalks celery
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 to taste salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 (9 inch) frozen prepared pie crust, thawed
- Wash chicken breasts in water and then place in a pot with water just to cover the chicken add some salt and pepper and garlic powder. Bring to a boil, turn off heat and cover. Let cool in the pot.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Wash and cut potatoes into bite size pieces and boil till almost fork tender. Drain and set aside.
- Wash celery and cut to bite-size pieces. Cut onion to bite-size pieces.
- In a large heavy skillet, over medium heat, saute celery and onion with 2 tablespoons oil, for 5 to 8 minutes. Add the frozen vegetables and cook another 5 minutes. Add flour and cook about 30 seconds.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. After it has become thick, add potatoes.
- Remove chicken from pot and cut into bite-size pieces and add to vegetable mixture. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour mixture into a 9 inch deep dish pie plate and cover with pie shell. Make sure you crimp the edges of the pie shell to the plate so no juices spill in oven.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 45 minutes or until pie shell is cooked and golden brown.