Her name is Anna.
This little girl captured all of our hearts on the storyteller team and Sole Hope staff. She has a beautiful smile that lights up a room. She is here because of jiggers. When she first arrived with her widowed mother, Agati, I’m sure she had no idea her life would change so drastically. Does she even understand what has transformed in her life?
What’s so special about Anna? Besides her vibrant personality, Anna is really smart. She was so proud
today to show us how she could count to 10 in English. We sat like proud parents at a school program and cheered when she finished. Has Anna ever had cheerleaders in her life? She doesn’t have to earn our love or do anything special for us to care. She matters.
We will return with Anna to her village on Friday for resettlement. It will be a time for her to say goodbye to the people who have loved her and cared for her suffering, removed her jiggers, educated her on a foot related disease that can be prevented. Sole Hope will continue to support Anna and keep involved with her progress.
This story reminds me of another story when Jesus washed the feet of His disciples. It was considered the lowest, most humbling service. Here is God the Creator of the universe, the Creator of man, taking on the form of man. Here is THE Almighty, Jehovah, Yahweh, and King washing feet. It was not a glamorous job, but in John 13, Jesus shared that no matter what position we hold, we always want to take the form of being a servant so that we demonstrate His good news, His gospel to others.
“Then he said, “Do you understand what I have done to you? You address me as ‘Teacher’ and ‘Master,’ and rightly so. That is what I am. So if I, the Master and Teacher, washed your feet, you must now wash each other’s feet. I’ve laid down a pattern for you. What I’ve done, you do.”
Loving the least of the least is Sole Hope.
How is Anna going to have a better future? When helping hurts….without an education, jiggers will return and continue to hurt Anna and cause her pain and suffering.
5 Reasons Why Education Changes Everything:
- Walk away with healing. God provides ministries like Sole Hope with the recourses to bring relief to from the pain of jiggers so people can experience life as simple as walking, running, and playing pain-free.
- Walk away with joy. Sole Hope helps the suffering find their joy again. What a blessing it must be to watch joy return on the faces of children and adults who were once ashamed, hurting, and hopeless.
- Walk away with resources. The children and adults resettle back in their villages with provisions and supplies to care for their feet such as: brand new Sole Hope shoes,
- Walk away with knowledge. Sole Hope provides education for young and old with information, prevention, treatment, and resources to keep their feet jigger free.
- Walk away with the gospel. Sole Hope provides compassion for the fatherless, help for the poor and suffering. Everyone has the right to hear the gospel and see the demonstration of the gospel… it’s extraordinary the sacrifices staff and volunteers make every day to clean feet, remove jiggers, and the day-to-day business of managing an Outreach Center. Believe me, it’s not a glamorous job. They need our support, encouragement, and constant prayers.
What’s most important, people leave Sole Hope with an education on being jigger free and HOPE.
Pray for little Anna and her family for future blessings. Please share this + help make a difference #solestories
(Photo Credits: Gary S. Chapman)